I seem to remember vividly seeing a benchmark about 4 years ago that showed
that web2py was indeed the fastest.

Either that benchmark was misleading, or things have changed.

In either case, it would still remain important to explain to the public
the reasons for the trade-offs that were chosen. If "speed-of-development"
or "security" had to come with a performance-penalty, and still it was a
conscious-choice to for-go with performance, than this trade-off choice
should be out there in the open and explicit. It's a form of
expectation-management and quality public-relation.

If people out-there understand that "hello-world" benchmarks are
meaningless for real-world use-cases, as the bottleneck always end-up being
the database whenever one is used (which is practically 100% of real-world
use-cases), they would be more apt to trying-out web2py, and have less
irrelevant/erroneous-biases against it.

And if the DAL is really faster than an ORM, than the bottleneck should
theoretically be less severe in web2py, since less queries would be
executed to the database. Meaning, that any performance-loss of
non-database-related executions, should be grossly overshadows and
nullified by virtue of having fewer database accesses. Meaning, that for
real-world production use - web2py ultimately should be faster for
database-intensive applications.