I don't see 'This is a test'.  The table looks exactly the same as it does
without the represent statement.

It doesn't matter what I put in the represent statement, If I have:

db_mydb.my_table.location.represent=lambda location,row: XML(T('This is a
test'))

'This is a test' doesn't appear in the table.

It also doesn't work if I put:

db_mydb.my_table.location.represent=lambda location,row:T('This is a test').

No matter what I put in the represent statement, my table looks the same.
 I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.