So I have this one field.  It's a date -- a birthday in fact.  It's
definitely a date, and yet, I do NOT want the extra help of the datepicker
on this PARTICULAR date.  Oh, it's fine for those OTHER dates in my forms,
just not THIS date.

Boldly I set off to unhook my particular birth date field from the
automagic datepicker gadget.  THe first thing I tried is to remove the
"date" class from this particular input field.  I used the old jQuery
$(document).load() and tossed its date class.  Problem solved?  NO!  That
darned datepicker is worse that Jason from the original Friday the 13th
movie.  Now it has decided that it doesn't need the "date" class before it
seizes a field.  Or, rather, the datepicker has already attached itself
like a parasite and my removal of the "date" class has no effect.

Do I need to change layout.html to put the web2py datepicker stuff in a
place where it loads AFTER my panel?  I've already loaded my stuff in the
{{block head}} to get it loaded as early as possible, and the rest of the
javascript is loaded at the end of the document.  But I guess that's not
good enough.  I could start "unbind"ing things until my datepicker problem
goes away, but there's TONS of things binding to all sorts of events, and I
don't want to screw up any more than I have to...

In a longer-term sense, is there any way to make this whole
datepicker/timepicker thing more "optional"?  This is not my first run-in
with this feature.  I know many people like the "convenience" of this
feature but to me it's always been a mixed bag.  Especially the "all or
nothing" approach we now have where you either take it on all of your
fields or kill it for the site by not loading the js.

-- Joe