That's a great find, Massimo, but reading it thru it seems the order can't
be mucked with programmatically.

Since this is a form with a custom formstyle, I put in a snipped to set my
'date' classes back to 'string' in the formstyle. It's a workaround, but
I'm not looking for purity here, just functionality, and this approach
worked.

That whole "formstyle" thing is a very neat hook.  It greatly extends the
built-in SQLFORM functionality.

-- Joe