> 1.
> Any time I log on to the website remotely and try to edit the site I get:
> "Admin
> is disabled because insecure channel"
> This is bothersome, as I want to be able to leave the Pi at work on a test
> system and play with it from home.

admin requires connection via SSL or localhost, otherwise it's a serious
security risk. To get a localhost connection, you can ssh into the server.

> 2.
> I am unable to make and use my own controller function.
> I have both my controller function in the "default.py" controller, and I
> made my own "test_controller.py" file that I have the same function in that
> file.
>
> This always works: http://MY_IP/test_app/*default*
> /test_controller_function
> But this: http://MY_IP/test_app/*test_controller*/test_controller_function
>
> returns the message: *invalid view
> (test_controller/test_controller_function.html)*

If your controller returns a dict, web2py assumes it must then execute a
view, and by default it looks for the view in /views/[controller
name]/[function name].[request extension]. You can direct it to a different
view by setting response.view to a different file path within the /views
folder. You can also take advantage of the generic.html view. By default,
generic views are turned off, but in the scaffolding app, there is a line
in the db.py model file that turns them on on localhost only.

Note, if you don't want to use a view at all, then just have your
controller return a string instead of a dict.

> 3.
> Why must you have a .html file that matches the name of the function you
> are "calling"?
>
> e.g. if you go to: http://MY_IP/test_app/default/test_controller_function
> I had to make a test_controller_function.html

See above. Note, the name doesn't have to match -- that's just a default --
you can use a different name but you must then be explicit about it by
setting response.view or calling response.render() directly.

Check out the Workflow and Dispatching sections of the
Core<http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/04/the-core>chapter as well as
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/10/services#Generic-views.

Anthony