The dropdown on a create/edit form is not controlled by the field's
represent attribute -- instead, it is the field's IS_IN_DB validator that
creates the dropdown. So, you could either manually override the default
IS_IN_DB validator, or just change the db.person._format attribute, which
will affect both the represent attribute and the IS_IN_DB validator of
db.thing.owner_id:

db.person._format = lambda r: r.name.upper()

Note, with the above, you no longer need to explicitly change the
db.thing.owner_id.represent attribute.

Anthony