I have found the problem. Thank you Richard!

For Windows users who want to move the applications subfolders out of
web2py directory, the correct syntax is :
mklink /J TheLinkName ThePath

mklink /J created a directory junction
Previously, I used mklink /D (which creates a symlink for a folder) but
this doesn't work.