I followed your istructions but the width of the select control is the same
in both the browsers IE8 and FF (300px according to line 32 of web2py.css
in car_sales/static/css folder)

Please try to change the value in the above mentioned css rule, clean the
browsers cache, reload the page and see if it works.

Furthermore

form.element('select[name=TestField]')['_style']='width:400px;'

should work also.

Anyway I don't see the images in your post.