Thanks for reply.

Well, this issue that I am observing is not specific to my system only, I
tried it on two other systems in IE8 and all of them were having the same
issue.

Anyways, I was able to get the exact width in IE, if I added a width of
400px to TD element containing the SELECT. So, I modified the web2py.css
and added width for TD.w2p_fw and it resolved the issue.

One question is :

What If I had to modify the style using my controller i.e I want to modify
the style for the element using controller only and not modifying the css
file. What should be the code for the same.

-Sarbjit