I guess it can be added as methods of the MENU class.
It needs some thought and has to be backward compatible so

{{=MENU(response.menu)}} has to work if response.menu follows the old
syntax and

response.menu=MENU()
response.menu.add_item(....)
response.menu.add_cascade(....)
etc.

can also be implemented as methods of the MENU class.

Massimo