Sorry for the slow response. From within my main view, at the end, I do
this:
    <script>
    $(document).ready(function() {
                {{if auth.is_logged_in() and session.state:}}
            $("#mydialog").dialog("open");
            web2py_component("{{= URL('mycontroller', 'index')}}",
 "mydialog");
        {{pass}}
    });
    </script>

As I write this, I'm remembering how I once wondered why web2py_component
doesn't have a user_signature parameter? But that maybe is unrelated to
this discussion ('tho if you have an answer to that question, too, it would
be nice to know).

So basically, if a dialog is open to a particular form and the user hits
reload, the main page sees that there's a state variable so it opens a
dialog and squirts the appropriate form back into the dialog. But then, the
form won't self-submit.