I have a word document that I output as a .'.mht; file  ie, a 'single file
web page'.

I can put sections of this into a string field in a database and then
display the field through a view, and the formatting in the word document
is preserved.

here is a line from the file that I read into web2py and insert into a
field in a database.

style=3D'line-height:11.5pt;mso-line-height-rule:exactly'><span
lang=3DEN-US style=3D'font-family:"Adobe
Garamond","serif";mso-bidi-font-family: "Adobe Garamond"'>‘One Lettuce Does
Not a Salad Make’ is similar to Jones’ story  .......

Everything works fine except the apostrophes in the text disappear.

When I display the field on the screen, there are no apostrophes. I f I
after Make and after Jones.

Clearly this is an encoding problem. If I read the .mht file into textpad,
the apostrophe's appear, and textpad says the file is 'ANSI'. The question
is how do I read the file in such as way as to correctly encode the
apostrophes?

I have tried various encodings including 'locale.getpreferredencoding()'.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem

Thanks
Peter