Thank you Jonathon for taking the time to make two good suggestions. The
first did not get the apostrophes to appear. WRT the second, one can only
control the encoding of Word when outputting txt files.

I have now created a work around, a bit ugly but the best I can achieve for
the moment.

smart apostrophes should be *&#8217 *for html. So I use textpad and replace
all smart apostrophe's with  *&#8217.  *I have to do this twice, once for
the left leaning apostrophe and once for the right leaning one.

This is not a nice solution but it does work.

Peter