On Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:30:20 AM UTC-8, Cliff wrote:

> Hello.
>
> General question here. Me and some friends guess who is going to win NCAAF
> bowl games so I thought I would try and make an app for it. So I started
> off making a table for users, games, picks.
>
> Users -> Person name | email
> bowls -> Bowl name | team 1 | team 2 | time | winner
> picks - > person (reference user) | pick (reference unsure)

I'd add in a table of teams -> id | school name | team name | visitor [ |
colors | coach name | atheletic director name | BCS rank | other trivia]
(visitor can be a boolean, to pick which team is listed in the left drop
down.)
(I don't know that you need to have a link back to the bowl in the team
table; I'd skip doing that unless you figured out a specific need for it.)

(note, allow the DAL to setup IDs in each table, which will be referenced.
 For instance, team1 in db.bowls will be a reference to teams.id)

db.picks.pick would also be a reference to teams.id.

> What I would like to do is make a page with an arg for user where I can
> enter their picks and it store it in a DB for that user. An example would
> be Bowl game 1: Team 1 vs Team 2 then a drop down list or radio button to
> select the team. Bowl game 2: team 1 vs team 2 drop down list to select the
> team etc etc.. Then later be able to list what user is ahead by wins. What
> I am getting caught up with is how to setup my databases.
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly
> appreciate it.

I think the extra table for teams is the main change I would make.  Sounds
like a fun project to do over the holiday weekend.  Be sure and let us know
how it turned out and how your friends reacted.

(Next year's goal:  moblile app client for your friends' phones)

/dps