On 24 Jan 2014, at 4:05 PM, Alex <mrauc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> could you give more details? why do you start it that way, did you experience
> any problems with external cron? how does the command for the system cron
> exactly look like? does it have any disadvantages to external cron?
>
> any ideas how I could track down those issues?

The general idea is that you can run a function directly from the command line,
so you can also run it directly from system cron. The difference between that
and "external cron" is that it completely bypasses web2py's internal cron
handling, which the last time I looked at it (it's been a while) did not look
reliable to me.

Here's a sample from my crontab template (system crontab, not web2py crontab).
I run web2py in a virtualenv; hence the activate. The controller/function is
tasks/idf.

0 * * * * source %(virtualenv)s/bin/activate && cd %(web2pydir)s && python
web2py.py -J -M -S %(appname)s/tasks/idf -a "<recycle>" >> /tmp/cron.output 2>&1