Thanks Michelle and Niphlod for your good advice and explanations. With 4
users connected the load from the ajax call is now down to 40%.  I can live
with that for this application.

FWIW, I decided to adopt a name prefix, "no_DAL",  to tell web2py not to
evaluate the models.  That makes my test at the top of db.py look like

if request.action == None or (not request.action.startswith('no_DAL')):
    db = DAL('sqlite://storage.sqlite', lazy_tables=True)
    etc ...

Saves me having to remember to add new functions to a list to be checked in
db.py.