>endless arguments just to "win"?

I don't think it's that, I think that people who consider themselves "idea
men" are people who are generally lazy who don't want to do any of the
work, but want to take credit for it. They discount the amount of time that
developers put into a project and state that they could do it better (if
they could just be bothered to implement their idea, which happens to be
too simple for them to bother with.) I was merely suggesting that the best
way to handle such people is to say 'it is a wonderful idea! people might
steal it! better be the first to implement it yourself and then patent it!'
What I've seen is that they usually shut up about their great 'new idea'
and maybe they learn that programming isn't as easy or 'simple' as they
thought it was.