Sorry I'm not following the relevance of that forum topic.  What I'm trying
to do for example is:

I have a date in javascript in a view :

var dateFormat = "{{=T('dd mmm yyyy')}}")

Later on this will get expanded to for example "20 January 2014".  For the
US, I want the date displayed as "January 20, 2014". So I created a
en-us.py language file with the following content:

{
'!langcode!': 'en-us',
'!langname!': 'English (United States)',
'dd mmm yyyy':'mmm dd, yyyy'
}

I restarted web2py.  However with my browser Accept-Language set to en-us I
still see the date as "20 January 2014".  My full firefox header is:
Accept-Language en-us,en;q=0.5

What am I missing about how T works?