On Friday, February 28, 2014 9:27:50 AM UTC-8, Mark Graves wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I am using web2py as a front end for bitbucket and mercurial.  Mercurial
> is managing multiple repos on my site.  I click a button to pull new code
> in from bitbucket.
>
> The way I am currently doing it is passing a path into a subprocess which
> runs mercurial commands to do the pulls and updates.
>
> I did this to avoid os.chdir() (for thread safety) ...
>
> Is it better to use the mercurial python api?

I know the hg people do not recommend the python interface, they recommend
the command server or passing the same commands as you'd use in a terminal
interface.  The command server gives you  performance close to the internal
calls, and there may be a python flavor of it.   However, it may not make
sense if you can't keep the connection open, and I'm not sure how web2py
would deal with that in a non-DAL situation.

The internal API, unlike the user-visible commands and the command server,
is not guaranteed to be consistent from release to release.  Bundled
extensions are guaranteed to be updated to match; third-party extensions
need to be watching for the RC candidates.

/dps