Simply inserting into the tables blindly was the problem, as Massimo
pointed out. I've gone ahead and implemented manual checking of the vars:

    def PUT(*args, **vars):

        required_vars = ['id']
        optional_vars = ['first_name','last_name']

        # Check for required vars
        for var in required_vars:
            if var not in vars.keys():
                raise HTTP(400, 'Missing:  ' + var)

        # Check that vars are only allowed vars
        for key in vars.keys():
            if key not in required_vars and key not in optional_vars:
                raise HTTP(400, 'Invalid: ' + key)

        result = db(
            (db.person.id == vars.get('id')) &
            (db.person.auth_user_id == auth.user.id)
        ).validate_and_update(**vars)

        return dict(result=result)

I was hoping there'd be an easier way to specify validation constraints for
the REST calls, similar to db.table.field.writable = False. Unfortunately,
this only applies to the built-in SQLFORMs.

Henry