it's not that far-fetch to include a control for writable = False
fields.....

def PUT(table_name, record_id, **vars):
    tb = db[table_name]
    cant_update_those = [tb[k] for k in tb.fields if tb[k].writable is
False]
    invalid_fields = set(vars) && set(cant_update_those)
    if invalid_fields:
        raise HTTP(400, 'whatever')
    return db(tb._id==record_id).validate_and_update(**vars)

ask for more details if needed.