Hi
I'm writing a web2py application that starts with a UK postcode and then
retrieves information for surrounding UK postcodes. I have tried two
methods of doing this - both of which work fine when the surrounding search
area is relatively small (i.e. when there are few extra postcodes).

Method 1: added

db.t_properties.f_postcode.contains(result)

to the database query, where *result *contains a list of postcodes.

Method 2:

Ran the database query without the *contains* condition, and subsequently
ran

rows.exclude(lambda row: row.f_postcode not in result)

However, when the search area increased to more than a couple of hundred
results, I got results from both errors. A bit of googling revealed that
Method 1 is constrained by the maximum number of conditions that you can
search on in SQLite. Method 2 failed with the following message:

<type 'exceptions.RuntimeError'> maximum recursion depth exceeded in cmp

Now, I'm pretty certain that I could fix the error by moving to MySQL or
another db, but I think I may not be approaching the query in the "correct"
/ most efficient way. Does anyone have any suggestions of the best way to
proceed?

thanks

Rob