That didn't work for me either. Here is the command I tried:
wget -O - http://username...@127.0.0.1:8000/app/default/index
I see the login form, not the "hello world" page. and I used urllib to
encode the "@" character in the username. it replaces it with "%40"

and the curl equivalent of this didn't work for me either.
curl http://username=passw...@127.0.0.1:8000/app/default/index
it responds with only one line:
You are being redirected <a href="/app/default/login">here</a>