I think there are many pros and cons of both approaches:

Pros of client programming:
- distribute computation (less server load)
- only data is tranferred, not html (less bandwidth usage)
- most responsive applications
- more flexibility building non-standard interfaces

Cons of client programming
- much more difficult to secure (because some of the logic of what is
display is client-side).
- non-standard interfaces is often what clients want but not always what
users want.
- you have to program in different languages (client/server).

Massimo