Hi Graham - Welcome to web2py ! I think you'll find that this group
has many people who can share many types of design patterns.

Web2py has a lot of ajax built into core the framework. Since the original
intent
was using web2py as a teaching tool, the emphasis may have been on simplicity
(self submission).
Also, the introductory topic are several years old.

It would be interesting to hear your analyses of the other web/python frameworks
you have reviewed. "Which is best"  is a frequent question on this group  Of
course,
 "best" needs to be defined...

Don