I think common practice is to leave password fields blank after a login
failure so the password must be re-entered.

In any case, I cannot replicate either behavior you describe using the
standard web2p Auth forms. When I have a failed login, the entire login
form is reloaded emtpy. When I enter the second password incorrectly on a
register form, the form reloads, and I only have to correct the second
password, not re-enter the first.

Can you show the code you are using for your forms?

Anthony