> Thanks for the answer, I was aware of that completely. It is just that
> Massimo said that it is trivial to replace BS2 with BS3 yet when I try to
> do it the trivial way and then create a FORM in controller (whether it be
> simple form, sqlform or sqlform.factory) the form looks completely wrong.
> The same is with main menu.

By trivial, I don't think Massimo meant to take templates with non-BS3 HTML
structure and CSS classes and simply load the BS3 CSS file and expect to
have everything work.

> Now I know that in this case I should create form in HTML using
> appropriate BS3 classes and then use that form in controller but I think
> you will agree that this takes away the ease of use which is one of the
> main strengths of web2py.

First, web2py does include a BS3 formstyle, so you can simply do:

SQLFORM(..., formstyle='bootstrap3')

and assuming you have the BS3 CSS loaded, your forms should look fine.

More generally, though, web2py cannot cater to every CSS framework. Because
Bootstrap is so popular, it is used for the scaffolding app, and there are
built-in formstyles for BS2 and BS3. If you want to use another CSS
framework, however, you can simply spend a few minutes writing a custom
formstyle function, and then use that for all of your forms -- no need to
write custom HTML in every form view.

> I suppose that was why OP named this thread "Bootstrap is killing web2py".
> I think a lot of web2py users (like myself) are novices in web programming
> and while it may be trivial for versed web programmer to use BS3 with
> web2py it is not the case for the beginners. BS3 is more than a year old
> but I still develop my web apps using BS2 because that is what ships with
> web2py. I don't want to criticize, web2py is an excellent framework but I
> think it needs to ship with BS3, otherwise it will lose a lot of novice
> programmers and I think novice programmers are important because those are
> the future user base of web2py.

I agree that the scaffolding app should migrate to BS3, but this is a bit
of an odd complaint. Most server side frameworks come with no scaffolding
app at all. How could the lack of a BS3 scaffolding app be killing web2py
if the alternatives don't offer one either? web2py certainly doesn't make
it any harder to work with BS3 than any other framework, and in fact it is
generally easier because web2py does include a BS3 formstyle and BS3
classes for the grid (most other frameworks don't even include a grid for
that matter).

Of course it's easier if the scaffolding app already happens to be based on
the CSS framework you want to use, but it really is not that difficult to
take any front-end template you find and convert it to a web2py layout
template, as described here
<http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/05/the-views#Page-layout>. Just
start with the HTML template and insert some of the web2py template code
you see in the welcome layout.html, tweaked as needed. You might also keep
some or all of web2py.css.

In any case, Massimo has distributed a BS3 version of the welcome app,
though if you're not planning to make any layout/styling modifications
anyway, it really won't be any different from using the BS2 version.

Anthony