OK so I could never figure out how to use this widget on itself, I ruptured
a few brain cells in the process and just decided to learn jquery. In case
anyone is ever in my position here is my working solution....

1)scrap the second lazy_options_widget and just use the default web2py
select box.

2) create a controller that will return a db lookup in json ex.

def lookup():
>     response.view = 'generic.json'
>     query = request.vars.query
>     data = db(db.tablenamehere.fieldnamehere == query).select() or "none"
>     return data.as_dict()
>

> This will take an variable (the id of the selected item) and return the
options you will plug into your select box

3)Add some JS to the view

 <script>
var selectList = $("#IDOFYOURFIELD");

$('#TABLE_FIELD__display').change(function(){
    value = $("#TABLE_FIELD__hidden").val();
    $.getJSON("/app/defualt/lookup/",{ query: value }, function(response){
        var responseList="";
        $.each(response, function(index, item) {
            responseList +="<option value=" + item.id + ">" + item.name +
"</option>";
        });
    leaseList.html(responseList);
    });