2014 m. spalis 8 d., trečiadienis 10:39:37 UTC+1, Niphlod rašė:

4) If all goes well and I close my eyes to the fact that user will retrieve
>> slightly more records than I defined in *cache_count*, there still is a
>> problem. If user would click on the table headers to change sort order - he
>> would see *cache_count *number of records from the end of full dataset.
>> (eg. *cache_count=10;* *paginate=4; returned **dataset=52; in this case
>> user will be able to see first **12 rows, then reorder and see last 12
>> rows in the dataset, that is 24 rows in total instead of initially desired
>> 10...)*
>>

> Doesn't change what web2py can do. Even if we cut the number of rows
> displayed exactly as you wish (i.e. 13), they won't be the same if user
> changes ordering. If you want a fixed set of records that the user needs to
> see, you need to pass a query to the grid (i.e.
> db.table.id.belongs((1,2,3,4,5,6,7))). But this clearly defies what you
> started the question with, that was "my users can see 1+m records anyway"

I have never said anything like you quoted, what I said though was: "users
who can get to the search page ideally would be able to search/see all the
records". Meaning, that users has access to the 1+m records, however when
they define search query, if one is not accurate enough, it can potentially
return really large datasets, therefore I would like to limit output to the
defined number of rows.

Imagine you type in the google search "web2py" and hit enter. My browser
yields ~373 000 matches, however I can only browse through the first 10
pages, that is equal to ~ 100 matches accessible to me, despite the fact
that there are 372 900 other ones. My query was not accurate enough and it
is obvious to me, obvious to google, that I will not click 37 290 more
times, to browse among other matches, I must redefine my query. Does it
make sense?

What you have suggested is simply incorrect.