I have a similar problem:

I cannot get
<script src="{{=URL(r=request,c='static',f='scripts/myfolder/
myfile.js')}}" type="text/javascript"/>
to work on IE 8 or Opera.

IT DOES WORK on Chrome 2.0

I spent the last 3 days on this problem. Finally I had to cut and
paste all of my .js files
to be in place in the .html file which needs them. Now I finally have
my web2py app working on 3 browsers.