On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 9:39:14 PM UTC+2, Ron Chatterjee wrote:

> I tried this:
>
> db =
> DAL('mysql://root@127.0.0.1:8000/my_database_name',migrate_enabled=False,
> pool_size=20)
>
> It didn't work either. I guess someone needs to look at how to connect to
> legacy database.

where is the password ?!

BTW: I think there's a bit of misunderstandings going on in this thread.
There are two separate concept at play: schema (structure) AND data.
Every script/extract_***_models.py can "inspect" an existing database and
figure out (with limitations) the model you should write to access that
database --> schema (or structure) translated to nifty
"db.define_table(....)"

Exporting and importing a csv (compatible with what web2py generates)
instead - again, with limitations - is the way to transfer data around.

If you have a long list of SQL statements in a file, those are NOT going to
work.
There's virtually nothing that reverse-engineers table definitions such as
"CREATE TABLE ....." to a model file, nor something that turns "INSERT INTO
TABLE..." to a db.table.insert(), although it can be fun to create one
(with lots of headaches).