I am trying to follow the advice by Massimo and others on this thread but
am missing something.

Specifically, the follow code is intended to check if a user group exists,
and if not, create it.  Unfortunately it executes every time until the
web2py server is restarted and the value is cached.

What do I need to change check/update the cache value correctly to see if a
user group exists?

My current code:
### Make sure the general user group exist, if not, create them.
if cache.ram('init_generalusers_group', lambda:db(db.auth_group.role ==
'general_users').count() == 0, None):
    print "inside general users init fx"
    db.auth_group.insert(role = 'general_users',
                         description = "A user group for all general
users.")
    cache.ram.clear('init_generalusers_group')

GENUSER_GROUP_ID = cache.ram("init_generalusers_group",
lambda:db(db.auth_group.role == 'general_users').select().first().id, None)

Thanks in advance.