Can you provide more detail regarding the workflow? Do you need updates
going only from the browser to the server without page reloads, or does the
server need to push realtime updates to the browser as well? Are there
multiple players playing the same game simultaneously (so, if one player
updates a cell, the other players' browsers need to show the update
automatically)?

Regarding the design/display of the grid itself, you'll need to figure out
the HTML/CSS for that. Once you do, though, you can use web2py's HTML
helpers and template language to automate the building of each grid. If you
show some HTML (or at least a mockup), we can probably help with the
template code.

Anthony