I'm inquiring as to whether anyone has done the one step deployment of
ubuntu on AWS.  I am facing an issue that although the deployment succeeded
and apache is listening on the proper ports (netstat), my requests are
hanging and I am unable to connect to the welcome app.  I have checked the
server logs, but there does not appear to be any information there and no
web2py errors either.  The url appears not to be routing to the server.

We went this route, rather than Turnkey as indicated in the book, because
although Turnkey served our application, our app was getting a difficult
error with Apache which it was not with rocket (malformed header).

We can provide any information which may be necessary to help with the
debug.  I will be linking to this post from the Turnkey help as well.