On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 11:37:47 PM UTC-8, Brendan Barnwell wrote:

Yes, I realize I can do that.  The problem is that (if I understand right)
> unless I put it in the web2py folder, web2py won't know about it.  I can
> symlink it (or directory-junction it, in windows), but that still seems
> quite awkward to me.  I feel like it would make more sense if the
> information about where web2py looks for applications was part of web2py's
> own configuration, not so closely tied to the directory structure on disk.

As a Mercurial user, I am quite comfortable having my repository in the
applications/myapp directory.  Because Mercurial is a DVCS, I can keep my
code elsewhere as well (even on another system) and pull or push to keep
them synchronized.  Git is also a DVCS, and I would not be surprised to
find that it can hide nicely in the application folder as well.  I'd even
expect web2py to play nice with an SVN workspace in the application folder
(but the repo would be on a real SVN server only).

Because I'm comfortable with doing my source control in situ, I don't feel
any need to not have my app as a subdirectory in the tree.  And,
independent of source control, fab files make it easy to deploy an updated
app from development to production.  (Or if you're a chef or salt guru, I'm
sure knocking off a recipe is pretty straightforward, but I've only read
the tutorials for those guys, and fab files may be all I need.)

My 2 cents, which isn't going to buy a cup of coffee anywhere, and I've
only done smallish projects so far.  I'm sure there are folks in the group
who have done actual large scale deployments and have tried different
things.  I can tell from their posts that some of the regulars here (like
Anthony) have seen many an app over the course of time.

/dps