how does the correct setup for a daily scheduler task look like?

currently I'm using an entry in scheduler_task with repeats 0 (unlimited)
and retry_failed -1 (unlimited). If the task runs without errors everything
is fine and the task is executed once a day. But if the task fails (e.g.
runtime error or an exception) then the task is repeated all the time and I
have many entries in the scheduler_run table after a short time. Strangely
this doesn't happen all the time, sometimes the task is only executed once
and then again on the next day.

Now I tried using retry_failed 0 to avoid those problems. In this case the
failed task is only executed once but will not be executed again on the
next day.

Is it possible to create a task which is executed only once every day?

Alex