I was able to built a Custom-CMS for a refugee helper association only by
watching the videos an reading the manual. I do only have really basic
knowledge in programming and because Joomla and Wordpress didn't fit my
needs I started from the scratch with web2py which is really a cool
framework.
I just want to encourage you to go step by step and I promise that you will
have a steep learning curve.