Well I was looking at it as the task was still run by the scheduler even if
it didn't complete successfully so the run count should go up regardless.
If you are not using the prevent drift option then the scheduler bumps
forward the next run time whether or not the task was successful so my
change makes it do the same with prevent drift enabled. Sure you could add
together times run and times failed and use that to calculate the next run
time but I am not sure if there is any real benefit to doing it that way.
It would require at least a few more lines of code to be changed/added
which, at least in my view, means higher chance of introducing another bug.
For example the piece of the scheduler that decides when a task has
completed its asked number of runs would need updating as well. The only
benefit that I can see is that if desired the developer could use the times
run field as more of a times successfully run field. But as it stands they
could simply subtract failures from total number of runs and get that
anyway.

I guess overall it comes down to whether that number of times to run field
should be "run this many times regardless of success" versus "run
successfully this many times". Of course if the developer of doing things
right (says the guy who obviously wasn't since he got bit by this bug) then
in theory failures shouldn't happen anyway. As for the fix, we can let the
main web2py developers decide which way they think is right now that the
problem and cause have been clearly identified.

Brian