I just added the appconfig.ini to the repo since that will cause confusion.
 It contained the item for host_names supported by the current web2py in
trunk.

auth = Auth(db, host_names=myconf.get('host.name'))

Since I'm not sure what that is for, I just changed it back to:

auth = Auth(db)

in /models/db1.py

Update your appconfig.ini to include the host_names entry (the
appconfig.ini in the repo on github contains the entry)
OR
Remove the host_names parameter from the call to Auth on line 58
in /models/db1.py

That should get your local copy working (and eliminate the confusion for
future downloads or clones)