I changed auth = Auth(db, host_names=myconf.get('host.name'))
to auth = Auth(db) for backwards compatibility (I think host_names will be
introduced in the upcoming release)

That should fix that problem.

Are you having another problem?  I'm actually having a problem with the old
pydal in old versions and can't find the problem - but it's working with
current 2.14.1

Could you try using the current Version
2.14.1-beta+timestamp.2016.03.23.16.47.51 ?  That's what I developed
against.

Would love to find the problem supporting old versions though!