> That may be from the Bootstrap2 days.

I put some time in last night trying to understand the how/why and think I
have a handle on it, thanks again for the pointers Dave.

It may be useful to other noobs so my lessons learned...

I started to develop using an existing Free CSS Template (that is
apparently from years back).
It was of huge benefit to me in getting started quickly because I could
largely see much of how it worked and was able to copy the approach for new
models views and controllers keeping the look and feel consistent.

Then this issue regarding menu dropdowns came up... and sure enough the
Free CSS Template has its own Oxidation/*.css files

My 'old' Free css Template is has/uses...

   - base.css
   - calendar.css
   - demo_table.css
   - fullcalendar.css
   - jqModal.css
   - Oxidation/base.css
   - Oxidation/calendar.css
   - Oxidation/demo_table.css
   - Oxidation/fullcalendar.css
   - Oxidation/jqModal.css

whereas the latest version of web2py by default has/uses

   - bootstrap.min.css
   - calendar.css
   - web2py-bootstrap3.css
   - web2py.css

I went a step further and migrated some of my existing MVC code to a new
clean default web2py app and the menu code worked without change i.e. the
dropdowns appeared as originally intended/expected.  (lots of other things
broke though).

For now I will work with what I have but v2 if I ever get there will be a
migration to a build using the latest defaults in web2py and maybe even
stupid.css!

Thanks again Dave!