I'm having an issue where "value" is empty inside my custom widget. I have
a field in my database that uses a custom dropdown widget:

Field('color_scheme', 'string',
requires=IS_IN_SET(color_schemes.COLOR_SCHEME_NAMES),
          widget=color_choice_widget),

I create a form using form=SQLFORM(...) and then I set the default value of
the color_scheme with:
form.vars.color_scheme = DEFAULT_COLOR_SCHEME

In my custom widget, I want to read the current value so that I can apply
certain styling to the selected value in the dropdown. But value=None
inside my widget. Any idea what's going on?

The custom dropdown widget is something like this:
def color_choice_widget(field, value):
    """
    Widget for the color scheme dropdown menu
    """
    print value # Why does this print "None"?
    return \
        DIV(
            # This DL is what the user sees
            TAG['dl'](
                <more stuff here>,
                _class="dropdown", _id="color_dropdown",
            ),
            # This hidden INPUT is what actually gets submitted, and has
value set by javascript
            INPUT(_name=field.name,
                  _class=field.type,
                  _id="%s_%s" % (field._tablename, field.name),
                  _value=value,
                  requires=field.requires)
        )

Thanks in advance for any advice on what I'm missing

Toby