I am quite new to web2py. I am attempting to build an app that will use
Auth to control log-in and membership for access to various parts of the
app.

I will have different types of users. Some will just come to get info and
leave and we don't need to know much about them. Others will be employees
and will have a bunch of info associated with them that will be used in
various parts of the app.

My question is how is the best way to link this employee information to the
users?

E.G.
User 1 is an employee and has "next of kin" and a "charge out rate" (and
lots more info).

If the current user enters hours worked in a timesheet table, I will need
to associate the current user with their "charge out rate" (knowing the
current user is User1 in the other table).

One option is as additional fields in Auth, but my concern is that I am
adding a lot of fields which will be empty for most users. Is this the best
approach or is there another approach?

Are there more advanced example applications available somewhere?

Thanks,
Andrew