On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:

> I think this is gone off topic. The issue is whether it should be
> possible for a table to have dynamic columns that are calculated from
> the values of other columns and are not stored in the db.

One option is to set this up in the DB through a DB view...

> Right now
> the answer is not. You would have to implement such function outside
> of the DAL. Should the DAL provide such additional abstraction layer?

The only reason to do this in (or out of)  DAL would be general usefulness
- lacking other approaches - in applications where backend portability was a
goal (e.g. don't want it tied to a particular db's VIEW) .... and that is
the question:  is this useful?  Have people "made" this outside of DAL?
Does that happen often enough it is worth putting into DAL?