Looking at the routing discussion in the docs, it seems that any kind of
custom routing has to be defined at the global level of the entire web2py
install.  Is that correct?  This seems awkward if I want to write an app
that carries with it its own knowledge of how it wants to route its
internal URLs, so that it can be dropped into an existing web2py install
without requiring extra global config (as web2py apps usually can be).

Given that the usual web2py URL scheme is
host/app/controller/function/extra , what I'm wondering is, is there a way
for an application to hook into ONLY the /controller/function/extra part?
What I would like is to be able to get in AFTER web2py decides which app is
being accessed, but BEFORE it decides which controller file to load.  This
way I could, for instance, do URL rewrite rules that change /myapp/somepage
to /myapp/somecontroller/somepage --- again, without requiring any changes
to code outside the application's own folder.  Is this possible?