On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 8:27:01 AM UTC-7, Anthony wrote:

> You need to have at least a basic routes.py in the root /web2py folder,
> but for application specific routing, you can also put a routes.py file in
> the application folder (i.e., in /web2py/applications/myapp/).

Okay. . . but so I guess that means the answer to my question is "no".
What you're saying is that there is a no way for an application to control
its own internal routing without support from a routes.py that has to be
installed separately, outside the application folder.

Do I understand right from the documentation that any routes that are not
matched by routes.py will behave just as they would if routes.py were not
present?  So in other words, if I have an app that wants to do internal
routing, can I be sure that a global routes.py containing just:

routes_app = [
    ('/myapp/*', 'myapp')
]

. . . will not affect any app but 'myapp'?  (And thus, if I have multiple
applications that want their own rewrite schemes, I would just add their
entries to the routes_app?)  I guess what I don't understand is why I need
to re-define the default behavior in this way.  Is there a reason web2py
doesn't look for the app-specific routes.py once it knows what app is
requested, even if there is no global routes.py?  Is it just to avoid the
performance hit of doing this check all the time?