On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 5:14:11 AM UTC-5, Lars wrote:

> "Good morning, Dave.." :)
>
> Actually here I was looking for the decode_credential meaning, which I
> guess is for database encryption, but I would have like it better to have a
> description of its use, its handling (does it suffice to encrypt the
> database or do I need to encrypt the database myself and then, provide
> credentials to w2p to allow it to use it, etc..).

Correction, 18 out of 24 arguments are described in the book
(decode_credentials is also missing). :-)

As suggested, if you can't find documentation on something, first trying
searching this forum, as there are several posts explaining
decode_credentials (e.g.,
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/xPREtSr3-PI/xx5EPVrU738J). It has
nothing to do with database encryption. Rather, it allows you to url-encode
your database credentials in case they happen to include an "@" character
(which causes a problem because the DAL uses the "@" character to separate
the username and password). If you url-encode your credentials, setting
decode_credentials=True then instructs the DAL to decode the credentials
after parsing them from the connection string.

Another strategy is simply to grep the codebase -- in this case, that would
lead you here
<https://github.com/web2py/pydal/blob/35dd4fc6f8fb8187e7c08217eebf3074e0d27fbc/pydal/base.py#L400>
.

But I still humbly think documentation as the key to a better teaching and
> that the official website should unite it all : recent tutorials, detailed
> class api references and the book as a general insight of the software
> (even if some of you find some information redundant or self explaining,
> dumb newbies need redundancy and even useless explanations). I am even
> willing to help on the matter if you can find some use for my lack of
> competence. :D But for this too, there must be a place where all
> improvements are displayed in real time (maybe it is but I don't know
> where) : for example, I tried to translate a part of the book a few months
> ago, all for realise when I was finished that it was already done.

There is a Github repo for the web2py book
<https://github.com/web2py/web2py-book>. You are certainly encouraged to
make contributions to it. I'm not sure if you were using the repo when you
were working on the translation, but if so, you should have seen the
existing translation in the repo (or in a pull request if it wasn't merged
yet).

Anthony