An instance of Auth is callable, so to understand the /default/user
function, take a look at the __call__ method of Auth -- in particular,
check
out
https://github.com/web2py/web2py/blob/623f3b99477eb97ffadb20d6f7cb3da398253c9c/gluon/tools.py#L1916.

When the /default/user function calls auth(), the __call__ method looks at
request.args to figure out which Auth method is being requested and then
calls the relevant method. So, auth() (i.e., the __call__ method) acts as a
router. In this case, it ultimately calls Auth.reset_password, so check out
that code to help with debugging.

Anthony