Ok, I seem to have it working now:

My Code Snippets if anyone is interested:

controllers/default.py
def user_bare():
    alg = 'pbkdf2(1000,20,sha512)'
    custom_auth_table.password.requires = None
    username, password = request.post_vars['username'],
request.post_vars['password']
    session.is_logged_in = "NO"
    cryptpassword =
str(CRYPT(digest_alg=alg,salt='Mars_Salt_4u')(password)[0])

    user = auth.login_bare(username, cryptpassword)

    #if auth.is_logged_in() :
    if user :
       session.is_logged_in = "YES"
       if auth.user['company_number'] == 0:
         redirect(URL('company_choose'))
       else:
         redirect(URL('index'))

    return dict()

view/default/user_bar.html

{{extend 'layout.html'}}

<INPUT type="button" value="HOME"
onclick="location.href='{{=URL('index')}}'"/>

<form enctype="multipart/form-data"
  action="{{=URL()}}" method="post"> <!--{{#or use =form.custom.begin}}-->
          <input type="text" class="form-control" name="username">
          <input type="password" class="form-control" name="password">
     <button type="submit">
           Submit
     </button>
</form> <!--{{#or use =form.custom.end}}-->

*Ben Duncan*
DBA / Chief Software Architect
Mississippi State Supreme Court
Electronic Filing Division