I agree.

In fact, the whole client side today should be Javascript and just
communicate via REST+JWT (even though in the enerprise space you will also
need OAUTH2).

 The models need to be exposed via REST easiliy and it should be easy to
add auth to routes with JWT. Also the REST endpoints once defined, need to
generate openapi(swagger) documents automatically.

This is much like the JSON route you wanted to go, but with openapi we
would be using an actual standard and do not tie ourselves to one
Javascript framework and once specific JSON format.

 With that we could use something like this:
https://api-platform.com/docs/client-generator/ that generates Vue.js or
React.js CRUD pages basted on teh openapi documentation for the REST
endpoints.